I would say that R2-D2 is now about 70% of the way printed. I have hundreds of parts, and it has been many, many hours of printing.
I still have some cleaning up to do on some of the parts, and I’m waiting on some components (bearings and rods mostly) that are being shipped from distant lands.
I’ve also begun constructing the omniwheels:
which has been both an adventure and a nightmare. I ran out of bearings on these so I need a few more. But, I also didn’t print enough tires, so I needed to order more flexible filament to get those finished. That was frustrating, to say the least.
Once the omniwheels are done, then I should be able to construct the drive units for all three feet, which gives me an attachment point for the legs. Assuming that all works out, I should be able to get R2 officially put together and see him on his feet for the first time.
There’s still a LONG way to go from there, but that will be a REALLY exciting step. I hope it all works out.