Jul 17, 2021 @ 10:00 am - 12:00 pm Pacific
What You'll Do:
Are your Maker skills top-notch, but feel like you don’t know where to start when it comes to presenting your work to the online crowd?
Perhaps you are a killer YouTuber (or an aspiring one!) and always get right to the end of a project and realize you have no idea what to do for your video thumbnail?
Good presentation skills go hand in hand with Making (and so much more), and being able to create a strong thumbnail is the first step to doing that project/presentation/video justice!
In this workshop, we will walk you through the design process; from how to come up with a strong idea for your thumbnail to properly communicate your message (including important art theory concepts!) to photography tips and tricks for shooting your own footage, all the way through using Adobe Photoshop (or comparable photo editing design software of your choice) to create an interesting, easy to understand, visually compelling thumbnail!
Come along and learn how to give your thumbnails an upgrade!
(Note: While Adobe Photoshop is not required for this workshop and most of the skills and concepts taught can be applied and used in any photo editing software, please note that some tips and skills will be Photoshop specific and finding the equivalent tool in other software may require additional research.)
- Basic understanding of how to use a camera (phone camera counts!)
- Basic understanding/ability to navigate Adobe Photoshop/photo editing software of choice
Skills you will learn:
- Basic Visual Storytelling concepts & how to turn an idea into a single visual end result
- Core design theory concepts including colour, composition and spatial balance
- How to capture yourself/your project in the best light with top photography tips and tricks, including how to self shoot and how to take better photos of yourself
- Image Colour Correction and Improvement of Image Quality
- How to utilize Layers, Layer Masks and Selection Tools for maximum efficiency
- Fun with Text and Layer Effects!
- Introduction to Advanced Techniques such as Liquify, Image Touch Ups and Exposure Bracketing
What You'll Need:
- A computer with enough RAM to watch a streaming video and run image editing software at the same time
- A copy of Adobe Photoshop (free trial can be found here) or image editing software of your choice
About your Facilitator:
Allie (Geeky Faye)
Geeky Faye Art is a “one-man” maker powerhouse exploring the intersections of art, technology and creative experimentation! Whether it’s building cosplay costumes from scratch, designing and 3D printing brand new framing methods, or trying electronics live on stream for the first time, Allie (also known online as Geeky Faye) is doing it, documenting it, and sharing the experience on YouTube and across social media to try and show that anyone can make and be creative! Their videos and projects have been featured on Tested.Com and Hackspace Magazine, as well as being sponsored by companies such as Creality, E3D Online and SparkFun Electronics.
With over 15 years experience working across a huge range of professional art and creative industries, including film, video games, theatre and industrial design, Allie brings to Make an eclectic combination of skills perfect for content creation and online presentation. As a YouTuber and online presenter, strong visual communication skills sit at the backbone of everything they do.